Monday, October 22, 2012

Caught Infraganti!

Buoyancy troubles?? -photo by Steve Lindfield

My awesome lab mate Stevie L. just gave me the best present ever. A folder with pictures that make me look amazing when I think I am just being silly looking mesmerized at the fishes I study and which fuel my scientific curiosity. He has such a photographic talent. I am lucky to be able to use his images for my talks, which always make them better, as my audience can just go: wow! and feel like they want to be in just that place. A captivated audience is a won audience. Thanks Stevie L.

But anyways, the purpose of this post is to share this picture which I thought was funny and has a story. What happened? Well I was having serious buyonacy issues at the Abrolhos, diving with a new 5mm wetsuit, with a leak in my BCD and doing some real shallow dives. So I remembered my friend Coro in the Philippines who would stuff his dive belt with all kinds of rocks to keep stable. And here I am, carrying pieces of rubble to keep my cool and perform the task I was sent to do: collect coral samples for my friend Luke. So all you divers out there, having buoyancy issues? Grab a rock would you? Just be mindful of when and where you let it go!

No comments: